sow n : an adult female hog
1 place (seeds) in or on the ground for future growth; "She sowed sunflower seeds" [syn: sough, seed]
2 introduce into an environment; "sow suspicion or beliefs" [syn: sough]
3 place seeds in or on (the ground); "sow the ground with sunflower seeds" [syn: inseminate, sow in] [also: sown]
- 1957, In England, it was generally termed a 'sow', if the weight was above 10 cwts., if below, it was termed a 'pig' from which the present term 'pig iron' is derived. — H.R. Schubert, History of the British Iron and Steel Industry, p. 160.
channel that conducts molten metal to molds
mass of metal solidified in a mold
- Swedish: galt, göt, tacka
- Russian: скотина (skotína) m|f
- Swedish: subba
- Chinese: 播種, 簸重 (bòzhòng)
- Czech: sít
- Dutch: zaaien
- Finnish: kylvää
- French: semer
- German: säen
- Hungarian: vet
- Ilocano: takong
- Irish: cuir
- Italian: seminare
- Japanese: 種をまく (たねをまく, táne o máku)
- Korean: 심다 (simda), 뿌리다 (ppurida)
- Old English: sāwan
- Portuguese: semear
- Russian: сеять (séjat’)
- Scottish Gaelic: sìol
- Spanish: sembrar
- Swedish: så
- Telugu: విత్తు (vittu)
Sow may refer to:
- sow, a female badger.
- sow, a female bear.
- sow, a female pig.
- sow, a shape in which metal is cast.
- sow, a type of siege engine.
- To sow seeds.
- statement/scope of work, acronym
- River Sow, England.
- Sow by Sylvia Plath
- Son of a Whore, slang acronym
- Sow (band), the band/spoken word project comprising Anna Wildsmith
- Share of Wallet
- Abbreviation for Sowbhagyavathi, the Indian Title translated to Ms.
- Abbreviation for Spirit Of the Wolf, a movement speed buff used in EverQuest.
sow in Italian: Scrofa
sow in Dutch: Zeug
sow in Swedish: Sugga
Partlet, barrow, bed, bestrew, biddy, bitch, boar, bossy, broadcast, brood mare, bullion, button, cast, casting, circumfuse, cow, deal out, dibble, diffract, diffuse, dispense, disperse, dispread, disseminate, distribute, diverge, doe, drill, ewe, ewe lamb, fan out, filly, forest, gate, gilt, guinea hen, gyp, heifer, hen, hind, hog, implant, ingot, inseminate, issue, jenny, lioness, mare, nanny, nanny goat, overscatter, oversow, overspread, peahen, pig, piggy, piglet, pigling, pitch, plant, porker, pot, propagate, publish, put in, radiate, razorback, reforest, regulus, reset, retail, retimber, roe, scatter, scatter seed, seed, seed down, seminate, set, she-bear, she-goat, she-lion, sheet metal, shoat, slut, sow broadcast, splay, spread, spread out, straw, strew, suckling pig, swine, tigress, toss, transplant, tusker, utter, vixen, wild boar